The Duke of Sussex was photographed looking distraught as he was driven into Balmoral on Thursday. The Prince arrived after Buckingham Palace broke
The Duke of Sussex was photographed looking distraught as he was driven into Balmoral on Thursday. The Prince arrived after Buckingham Palace broke the news of the Queen’s death to a devastated nation. Harry had decided to fly on his own up to Scotland on a Cessna private jet, while other Royal Family members flew earlier on an RAF Dassault Falcon jet.
He was the last to arrive, but the first to leave the following morning, suggesting tensions are still high between the Duke and his family.
Dan Wootton urged the Duke to put aside his grievances with his close family.
He argued it would be the most fitting tribute he could make to the memory of his beloved grandmother.
Writing in his Daily Mail column, Mr Wootton said: “If the life of Elizabeth II has taught us one thing it is that blood is thicker than water.
“For that reason, this death of a public figure, has brought us closer to our own families in so many ways, as we memorialise lost loved ones who somehow seemed to share an intrinsic connection to the Queen.
“That’s why I can’t shake the sadness. I feel that she leaves a divided family, with those open wounds exposed to the entire world as she passed away at Balmoral yesterday afternoon.
“Surely now, with a nation united in grief, Prince Harry will be able to put his differences with his blood relatives aside for the good of the institution for which his grandmother gave so much.
“Indeed, the greatest tribute the Duke of Sussex could pay to the late Queen is to reconcile with King Charles and Prince William.”
King Charles III addressed a mourning nation and the Commonwealth on Friday.
In a powerful and moving speech, he said Her Majesty had been “an inspiration and example” to himself and all his family.
He hailed her unswerving dedication to public service and her ability to change with the times.
READ MORE: Susanna Reid addresses King Charles’ message to Harry and Meghan
The King said: “She made sacrifices for duty. Her dedication and devotion as sovereign never wavered, through times of change and progress, through times of joy and celebration, and through times of sadness and loss.
“In her life of service we saw that abiding love of tradition, together with that fearless embrace of progress, which makes us great as nations.”
He added: “I pay tribute to my mother’s memory and I honour her life of service.
“I know that her death brings great sadness to so many of you and I share that sense of loss, beyond measure, with you all.”
Britain’s new King bestowed the title of Prince of Wales on his eldest son, William.
He said he was confident that the new Prince and Princess of Wales would “continue to inspire and lead our national conversations, helping to bring the marginal to the centre ground where vital help can be given.”
Prince Harry’s lonely departure ‘shows clear distance’ with family [INSIGHT]
Royal Family: William and Kate speak out over new titles [NEWS]
Crowds lay floral tributes outside palaces as nation mourns Queen [SPOTLIGHT]
At the same time, King Charles appeared to hold out an olive branch to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
He declared: “I want also to express my love for Harry and Meghan as they continue to build their lives overseas.”
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex had travelled to Europe to help promote next year’s Invictus Games in Germany.
Harry, 37, and Meghan, 41, flew into Düsseldorf on Tuesday for the Invictus Games’ One Year to Go event.
The couple walked a red carpet hand-in-hand and were greeted by local officials at city hall.