19.2 C
Los Angeles
Monday, September 18, 2023

Boy, 13, dead after attempting viral TikTok challenge

NewsBoy, 13, dead after attempting viral TikTok challenge

A 13-year-old boy has died after attempting a viral TikTok stunt. The teenager was taken off life support in hospital last week after reportedly overdosing on over-the-counter medication.

Known as the ‘Benadryl Challenge’, the stunt sees people taking 12 to 14 of the antihistamine pills – six times the recommended dose – in order to induce hallucinations.

It first came about in 2020, and prompted warnings from government bodies including the United States Food and Drug Administration in September of that year.

Earlier this month, Justin Stevens’ son Jacob attempted the challenge.

He told ABC6 how the teenager began having seizures after taking the pills, and ended up on life support.

He died six days later, after his parents made the difficult decision to switch off his ventilator.

Jacob, from Columbus in Ohio, was in the eighth grade at Greenfield McClain Middle School.

In his obituary, his parents described him as a “well-mannered, funny, loving kid” who enjoyed listening to music, playing football, and hanging out with his friends.

Prior to his death, Justin shared a photo of Jacob in his hospital bed on Facebook, as a warning to other parents.

He posted: “This is my 13 year old son who is fighting to stay alive. This is due to the TikTok Benedryl challenge.

“He and a couple of his friends thought it would be cool to do this challenge and this is the outcome of it.

“It will take an act from God to bring him out of this. So, folks, if you have children or loved ones please share this picture with them in hopes that it will keep them from making this big mistake.”

Justin continued to share updates on his son’s condition, before confirming his death on April 12.

Jacob’s funeral is due to take place on Wednesday, April 19.

Check out our other content

Check out other tags:

Most Popular Articles