A man was reportedly bitten on the head by the UK’s only deadly species of snake after it slipped into his tent on a camping holiday. Tony Mohammed who was on a camping holiday with his wife Karina near Southwold, Suffolk believes the venomous adder sunk its fangs into his scalp as he slept.
The incident happened as his wife suggested leaving the fly-sheet of their tent open to keep cool on the hot nights during their stay.
Tony, 56, told The Sun: “Against my better judgement, we left it open and a little more breeze came in. I was sleeping with my head towards the tent opening.
“At the time I thought it wasn’t a good idea — I was thinking more of mosquitoes and creepy crawlies — but when we opened it, I was glad of the breeze as it was hot.
“In the early hours of the morning, I felt like burning on my head. I was half asleep and was rubbing it and then went back to sleep. I got up in the morning and my forehead was streaming with this clear liquid.”
Tony’s eyes also began to swell up as the poisonous fluid worked its way into his body.
As the fluid continued to flow from the wound on his head throughout the day, he decided to contact NHS for further examination.
He was prescribed a number of antibiotics and antihistamine cream by the medics who cleaned his wound.
The engineer began to perk up over the next 24 hours and the wound began to scab. But when that fell off, he saw the fang marks.
Tony, of Coventry, said the size of the bite marks in his head where the first clue that he’d been bitten by a snake as opposed to a spider.
Tony reports that his eye started to swell up around a day later, leaving him looking like he’d been in a scrap during his holiday.
He says that the skin where the swelling erupted still feels different to rest of his flesh.
But he refused to let the horrific incident dampen his spirit for camping and described the bite as “just nature doing its thing”. Though he warned anyone who suffers the same fate to get checked as soon as possible.