Royal editor Russell Myers also suggested the Duke’s return is likely to be limited to only a few days during which he expects the royal to “fade into the background.
Myers told Sky News Australia: “It will be a very, very quick trip for Harry. In and out in a matter of days, we won’t see him at the main celebrations at the balcony, the flypast, what have you at Buckingham Palace.
“One may wonder if he’ll keep his counsel and sort of fade into the background.”
Harry’s already frosty relationship with the Royal Family was delivered another hammer blow earlier this year with the release of his memoir, Spare.
The revelations and allegations the Duke levelled at his family, notably the King, Queen Camilla and Prince William, sparked speculation about whether he would be extended an invitation to the Coronation.
But Harry and Meghan confirmed in March they had indeed been invited but waited until Wednesday to announce their plans for the day.
Commentator Alexander Larman suggested the Duke’s decision to come alone was devised to highlight he remains a member of the Royal Family despite no longer being a working member.
Larman said: “What Harry wants to achieve is essentially his saying, ‘I’m a member of the Royal Family, you cannot get rid of me.
“‘I’m going to be here as long as this institution exists. I’m also free to stand on the sidelines and say this is a problem with the monarchy, this is a problem with my family. This is what I would do better’.”
Royal author Omid Scobie, who documented the couple’s decision to step down in the book Finding Freedom, however, suggested the family opted to spend the day separately to ensure one parent could be with Archie as he celebrates his fourth birthday.
He said: “I understand that Archie’s fourth birthday (also on May 6) played a factor in the couple’s decision.
“Expect it to be a fairly quick trip to the UK for Prince Harry, who will only be attending the coronation ceremony at Westminster Abbey.”
Harry briefly returned to London in March to attend a series of hearing as part of his ongoing lawsuit against Associated Newspapers.
He is not believed to have met with members of the Royal Family at the time, with their last meeting taking place last year at the Queen’s funeral.
Follow our social media accounts here on facebook.com/ExpressUSNews and @expressusnews