Horror explosion as Ukraine confirms nursery bombed in Russian-backed attack

HomeNews

Horror explosion as Ukraine confirms nursery bombed in Russian-backed attack

The military said no injuries were caused but it had caused shell-shock to two civilians. Earlier Russian-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine acc

'Prohibited by Geneva!' Ambassador claims Russia used deadly vacuum bomb in Ukraine attack
Stroke: 'Serious mental illnesses’ tied to higher risk for heart attack and stroke – study
BBC Newsnight: Russia attack ‘imminent’ says Tobias Ellwood as Putin ‘running the show’


The military said no injuries were caused but it had caused shell-shock to two civilians. Earlier Russian-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine accused government forces of opening fire on their territory four times in the past 24 hours and said they were trying to establish if anyone had been hurt or killed.

Referring to the rebels, Ukraine’s military said: “With particular cynicism, the Russian occupation troops shelled the village of Stanytsa Lugansk in the Luhansk region.

“As a result of the use of heavy artillery weapons by terrorists, shells hit the kindergarten building. According to preliminary data, two civilians received shell shock.”

It comes at a time of global concern over the prospect of a wider war, with more than 100,000 Russian troops near the Ukrainian frontier.

Moscow denies it is planning an invasion and has said this week it is pulling back some troops, though Western countries say they are not convinced.

A Reuters photographer in the town of Kadiivka in Ukraine’s rebel-held Luhansk region heard the sound of some artillery fire from the direction of the line of contact but was not immediately able to assess the details of the incident.

Kyiv and its Western allies have repeatedly said in recent weeks that they believe Moscow could use an incident in the separatist conflict as justification for an invasion.

Russia, for its part, has accused Kyiv of trying to provoke an escalation to recapture rebel territory by force.

A diplomatic source said a longstanding monitoring mission from the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe had recorded multiple shelling incidents along the line of contact in the early hours of Thursday.

Since a 2015 ceasefire brought an end to major combat in the separatist conflict, the OSCE has typically reported dozens of ceasefire violations each day, with significant shelling or clashes leading to injuries or death several times a month.

The self-proclaimed Luhansk People’s Republic, one of two rebel regions, said Ukrainian forces had used mortars, grenade launchers and a machine gun in four separate incidents on Thursday.

The separatists said in a statement: “Armed forces of Ukraine have crudely violated the ceasefire regime, using heavy weapons, which, according to the Minsk agreements, should be withdrawn.”

MORE TO FOLLOW.. This is a developing story, refresh for updates



COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 0
DISQUS: 0