16.4 C
Los Angeles
Saturday, September 23, 2023

'I popped out for a Subway with mates then woke in hospital surrounded by detectives'

News'I popped out for a Subway with mates then woke in hospital surrounded by detectives'

A man with a brain tumour has told how he woke up in hospital after a night out and found detectives standing over his bed. Cameron Tunstall, 22, pieced his night together from bank transactions after he went out for a meal with friends in Liverpool on Friday, May 5. He was rushed to hospital with bleeds in his brain after being found on the ground outside a Subway in the early hours on Saturday.

Mr Tunstall said that, after going out for dinner, he and his friends toured bars and clubs around the city.

But, following a call to Subway on Bold Street, police found him lying on the street unconscious.

The Liverpool Echo reported that he was attacked by two men and a woman outside the shop.

The 22-year-old said he said he woke up in the presence of two detectives without memory of the night.

READ MORE: Family devastated as father dies within days of gastric sleeve surgery

He said: “I don’t really know timestamps because when I actually woke up, I was just in a room with two detectives who were speaking to me about what happened.”

According to his bank transactions, he “went to Subway” and likely planned to catch a taxi back to his home in the Wirral when he was assaulted.

He found out what had happened to him after reading reports of the incident in the Echo, he added.

Doctors found he had suffered two brain bleeds, one inside his brain and another outside his skull, and received a broken nose and damaged eye.

Police have arrested one person, a 25-year-old woman from London, in connection with the incident.

The incident isn’t the first of its kind for Mr Tunstall, who discovered he had a brain tumour following a night out in August 2022.

He said he was hit by a man while out with friends near PopWorld, a nightclub on Liverpool’s Hanover Street, again, as he sought a taxi home.

The hit sent him to the ground, where he banged the back of his head, and medics rushed him to hospital.

Doctors ordered brain scans to check the attack had not caused a head injury or internal bleeding.

But they discovered his brain tumour instead, and he has since “come to terms” with the condition.

He confessed he doesn’t “have the best luck on a night out” and has resolved to spend less time on the town.

Merseyside Police have now appealed for people who may have witnessed the incident to come forward, and hope to speak to taxi drivers who work from Hanover Street’s Hackney cab rank and may have dash cam footage.

Check out our other content

Check out other tags:

Most Popular Articles