King Charles held heart-to-heart talks with son Harry before the Duke of Sussex agreed to attend the Coronation, it emerged yesterday. Harry’s attendance at the Westminster Abbey ceremony next month is being seen as a sign of thawing tensions after his explosive biography and Netflix series.
Sources confirmed that the warring pair had spoken and there was now a “willingness and wanting to mend” on both sides following a fractious period during which it seemed likely the Duke might snub the event.
In a speech last week Charles spoke of his “immense pride” at his sons William and Harry.
Relations between the King and the Duke are showing signs of repair, but the brothers are understood still not to be on speaking terms.
Hollywood insiders celebrated California-based Harry’s decision to go to the Coronation as it is seen to be vital in keeping his and Meghan’s brand relevant.
A Netflix source said: “Harry is going back for all the right reasons but there was a palpable sigh of relief among those of us involved in the business because Brand Sussex relies on Harry being seen with his family.
“At the end of the day, it is all about proximity to the King.”
However, Harry is expected to attend only the Coronation ceremony at Westminster Abbey on the morning of May 6.
The Duke will travel from the US alone, leaving wife Meghan and their two children at home. Archie turns four on the day his grandfather is officially crowned..
Harry’s agreement to be at his father’s side on the proudest day of his life has done much to repair the damage caused since he decided to quit royal life three years ago.
But it will not be without tension as it will be the first time since his bombshell memoir Spare that he will come face-to-face with his family.
In the book Harry claimed that William, 40, attacked him during a row which saw him shoved to the floor, injuring his back.
Harry, 38, left the UK for California, where he now lives in a £12million mansion with former actress Meghan, 41, Archie, three, and daughter Lilibet Diana, one.
In a series of incendiary claims he said the Royals wanted to portray him and Meghan as “villains”.
He claimed that senior members of the family had “shown absolutely no willingness to reconcile”.
Charles and Harry are understood to have remained in close contact throughout the furore that erupted after he left for America.
They met several times during last year’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations to mark the Queen’s 70-year reign.
During interviews to publicise his book,which was released in January, Harry admitted: “I would like to get my father back.
“I would like to have my brother back.”
Charles, 74, is said to be very happy with Harry’s decision to attend the Coronation and sympathetic that Meghan cannot attend because she will be looking after his grandchildren at home.
Sources claimed that Harry was desperate to attend to support his father and mark the significance of the event eight months after his grandmother died.
The Coronation will see Charles and wife Camilla, swear an oath at the same church where his mother was crowned 70 years earlier in 1953.
Despite claims Harry delayed accepting the invitation over concerns about seating arrangements, there were no significant talks other than to settle on a security plan.
He is suing the Home Office, claiming it was illegal to stop his 24-hour armed police guards when in the UK.
As a non-working royal Harry will not be handed any formal role at the ceremony.
He is not expected to take part in the processions between Buck-ingham Palace and the Abbey or to attend any other celebrations during the three-day holiday.