King Charles should have taken swift and decisive action after Prince Harry and Meghan Markle decided to step down from royal duties in 2020, a royal biographer has claimed.
According to Tom Bower, author of “Revenge: Meghan, Harry and the War Between the Windsors”, the shameful events that followed Megxit have cast a cloud over the monarchy.
“Harry and Meghan have undermined the monarchy and Charles has made a terrible mistake,” Mr Bower told Daily Express US.
The royal biographer continued: “He should have cut them off straight away. He should never have allowed their children to be made a prince and princess.
“And he shouldn’t have invited Harry to the coronation. He should have just cut them off.”
Charles’ fatal mistake was to endlessly prevaricate over what to do with Harry and Meghan while they carried out their tell-all campaign stateside, Mr Bower claims.
Since stepping away from the Firm, Harry and Meghan have relocated to California to pursue various media adventures.
This has largely consisted of the couple making incendiary claims about the monarchy, putting the centuries-old institution into disrepute.
Mr Bower says the first grenade was thrown back in 2021, when Meghan insinuated in an interview with Oprah Winfrey that a member of the family had subjected her to racism – a claim that would soon engulf the institution in a race row.
Harry later attempted to walk back the allegation in an interview but it appeared the damage was done by this point.
A YouGov poll conducted shortly after the interview aired found 48 percent of Britons said they had a negative view of Harry, compared with 45 percent with a positive view – giving him a -3 net score.
It marked the first time attitudes had been more negative than positive towards him, and was a 15-point drop from March 2 of that same year.
Meghan’s popularity also took a hit after the interview, with only 31 percent of Britons holding a positive opinion of the Duchess of Sussex, while 58 percent of the survey’s 1,664 British respondents viewed her negatively.
Public sentiment appeared to go from bad to worse for the Sussexes following the release of their Netflix series last December, where the couple made further claims of racism, with the British press also coming in the crosshairs.
But it was the release of Harry’s tell-all memoir Spare in January that took the royal rift to a whole new level.
In his autobiography, Harry made a host of controversial claims about members of the family, one of the most explosive related to his fraught relationship with his brother Prince William.
At one point, the Duke of Sussex claimed William physically attacked him.
Harry and Meghan have polled consistently badly since the release of the Duke’s bombshell-ridden book.
Follow our social media accounts here on facebook.com/ExpressUSNews and @expressusnews