Newcastle boss Steve Bruce set for a reprieve as he prepares for his 1000th game as a manager


Bruce battles on! Under-fire Newcastle boss set for a reprieve as he prepares for his 1000th game as a manager this weekend – with club’s new owners likely to leave him in charge for Spurs game despite their plans to sack him imminently

  • Newcastle boss Steve Bruce is scheduled to face the media on Friday afternoon 
  • It had been indicated that Bruce would be relieved of his duties this week 
  • But it would appear likely that he remains for his 1000th game this Sunday 
  • Bruce met with director Amanda Staveley at the training ground on Monday 


Steve Bruce still faces the sack as manager of Newcastle United – but looks set for a reprieve in what would be his 1,000th game in the dugout against Tottenham on Sunday.

It had been indicated that the 60-year-old would be relieved of his duties this week given the club’s new owners feared his presence could have a negative impact during their first match.

But Bruce is scheduled to face the media on Friday afternoon and, even though sources could not confirm if he will still be in charge for Spurs, it would appear likely that he remains for the time being.

Newcastle's Steve Bruce is set for a reprieve as he prepares for his 1000th game as a manager

Newcastle’s Steve Bruce is set for a reprieve as he prepares for his 1000th game as a manager

We have been told that the new ownership model – led by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund and headed on Tyneside by Amanda Staveley – is ‘process driven’ and will be ‘methodical’ in their approach.

However, sources say it would be wrong to accuse the consortium of ‘indecision’ and it is more a case of them doing things ‘properly’, suggesting the situation is a delay as opposed to a change of heart.

Bruce met with Staveley and her husband Mehrdad Ghodoussi at the training ground on Monday and had expected more contact as the week went on. 

But, as of Thursday night, he remained in the dark over his future and the exact terms of his anticipated exit with an £8million payoff are yet to be negotiated.

Bruce met with new director Amanda Staveley and her husband Mehrdad Ghodoussi (pictured at St James' Park last week) at the training ground on Monday

Bruce met with new director Amanda Staveley and her husband Mehrdad Ghodoussi (pictured at St James’ Park last week) at the training ground on Monday 

The board’s football advisor, former Liverpool chief scout Frank McParland, has been in at the club this week and is leading the search for Bruce’s replacement.

We have learned that former Arsenal boss Unai Emery and Belgium manager Roberto Martinez are among a host of names who have formed part of discussions, but both are said to have reservations.

Another name which is being pushed is that of ex-Roma boss Paulo Fonseca. Sources say there are concerns given he apparently interviewed poorly at Spurs in the summer, but it is understood some conversations have taken place between the two parties in recent days.

Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.