The Department of Health and Social Care has announced that the NHS Covid-19 contact tracing app has received an update today (Monday August 2), meaning fewer contacts will be asked to self-isolate.
In the past few weeks the NHS Covid 19 app has been sending out hundreds of thousands of alerts asking people to self isolate.
In the week leading up to July 21 689,313 alerts were sent out to NHS Covid-19 app users in England and Wales.
This was a record number of alerts sent out in what has been dubbed the ‘pingdemic’.
The previous week 618,903 people were being pinged by the app, which is having knock-on effects for businesses struggling to deal with staff being told to stay at home.
Speaking about the news, Health Secretary Sajid Javid said: “We want to reduce the disruption that self-isolation can cause for people and businesses, while ensuring we’re protecting those most at risk from this virus.
“This update to the app will help ensure that we are striking the right balance.
“It’s so important that people isolate when asked to do so in order to stop the spread of the virus and protect their communities.”
However, opposition leader Sir Keir Starmer previously criticised the decision to change the sensitivity of the Covid 19 app, comparing it to taking “batteries out of smoke alarm”.
The Labour leader said: “It’s like taking the batteries out of the smoke alarm: it is so obviously to weaken the defences that we have – and if the consequence of the prime minister’s decision is that people are deleting the NHS app, or the app is being weakened, then that’s a pretty good indicator that the decision of the prime minister is wrong”.
More to follow…