Prince Andrew could be stripped of 24-hour security as non-working royal

HomeNews

Prince Andrew could be stripped of 24-hour security as non-working royal

Prince Andrew ‘still has security’ says punditThe Duke of York, 61, stepped back from royal duties in 2019 following a disastrous BBC Newsnight int

Prince Andrew to face accusers lawyers on March 10 at 'neutral' London location
Karren Brady chides Prince Harry and Prince Andrew for causing 'frail' Queen 'such grief'
Piers Morgan in emotional tribute to Andrew Symonds after cricketing legend's death


Prince Andrew ‘still has security’ says pundit

The Duke of York, 61, stepped back from royal duties in 2019 following a disastrous BBC Newsnight interview where he addressed allegations being brought against him by Virginia Giuffre, previously Virginia Roberts. In an ongoing civil suit brought against the royal in New York, Ms Giuffre claims Andrew sexually abused her on three separate occasions in 2001.

The Duke strenuously denies the allegations.

Despite not being a working royal for three years now, Andrew has so far been allowed to keep his taxpayer-funded police bodyguards.

However, the Daily Mail reports that a full review of the prince’s security is now being carried out by the Metropolitan Police and the Home Office.

It comes after the Duke of York handed back all royal patronages and military appointments to the Queen last week.

Prince Andrew with security

Prince Andrew could be stripped of 24-hour security as non-working royal (Image: Getty)

Virginia Giuffre

Virginia Giuffre has brought a civil case against Andrew in New York (Image: Getty)

A statement from Buckingham Palace announced that Andrew will no longer use the title “His Royal Highness” in any official capacity and that he will fight his ongoing civil case as a “private citizen”.

The tabloid reports that Andrew’s security costs taxpayers an estimated £2-3million a year.

Public debate around the topic of royal police security is booming currently because Andrew’s nephew, Prince Harry was stripped of his police protection when he quit as a working royal in 2020 and moved to California with his wife Meghan.

Harry has recently sought for this security to be reinstated when he returns to British soil with his family and has offered to foot the bill.

The Duke has filed a claim for a judicial review against the Home Office decision not to allow him to personally pay for the security whilst in the UK.

READ MORE: Meghan and Harry cause ‘big problem’ for Royal Family

In light of this review, the Daily Mail reports that the Royal and VIP Executive Committee is now carrying out a review of whether Andrew’s security situation is tenable.

A source told the outlet: “Although no one will comment on it publicly, this is an issue that is now actively being discussed by the Met’s Royal and VIP Executive Committee.

“The situation [as regards Harry] is awkward and may prompt a decision sooner rather than later.

“If Harry, who is no longer a working royal, does not get security in the UK, then why should Andrew?”

The Queen’s second son currently sits at ninth-in-line to the throne, and he resides at Royal Lodge on the Queen’s Windsor estate.

The Duke will always benefit from the round-the-clock protection that comes with living in proximity to a royal residence.

DON’T MISS 
Prince Charles infuriated Andrew: ‘Hasn’t got over it’ [REVEAL] 
Kate Middleton stuns in ‘cockapoo’ – colour of the season [PICTURES] 
Prince Harry UK security fears spark Invictus Games worry [INSIGHT]

However, according to reports, it is the security that accompanies him away from the estate that will be under discussion.

Other members of Andrew’s family including his two daughters Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie and his ex-wife Sarah, Duchess of York, have not officially had any taxpayer-funded security in recent years.

The York siblings have paid for their own private security for over a decade after they were stripped of their 24-hour police protection when a row erupted over the £500,000 annual cost.

It was decided that they would only be given protection when they attended official events on behalf of the Royal Family, where there would already be a big police presence because of senior members.

While Andrew’s ex-wife Sarah has not officially had any taxpayer-funded security since they divorced in 1996.

Prince Andrew

Andrew resides at Royal Lodge on the Queen’s Windsor estate. (Image: Getty)

Other members of the Firm including Princess Anne and Prince Edward have had their security scaled back in recent years too.

While some of the Queen’s grandchildren including Zara Tindall and Peter Phillips have never benefitted from security as adults.

Dai Davies, a former head of royal security at Scotland Yard, called Andrew potentially losing his bodyguard as a “big step”.

When asked about the possibility, he said: “It is a big step, although the likely risk is small, and there would be strong arguments to be made that he does not require ‘PPO’ [personal protection officer] status if he is no longer a working royal.”

Neither the Metropolitan Police nor a representative for Andrew would comment when approached.



COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 0
DISQUS: 0