Prince George could be the first male heir to the throne in centuries not to go through military training as he prepares for his future role as monarch.
Most members of the Royal Family – including King Charles III and Prince William – paired their academic training with experience in one of the branches of the British Armed Forces.
But the second-in-line to the throne will not be bound by the strict traditions that applied to his ancestors, according to a friend of the Prince of Wales.
The royal insider said William and Kate, the Princess of Wales want all their children to be able to pick the career they want for themselves.
They said: “In theory, there is nothing to stop George from pursuing a career as an astronaut, for example, if that’s what he wants, and then becoming King later.
“The rules are different now, he wouldn’t necessarily have to follow the old formula of going into the military and then royal life.”
Speaking to the Mail on Sunday, the source said the same approach would apply to Prince George’s sister Princess Charlotte.
The Royal Family has a long-established connection with the Armed Forces, with George’s great-grandmother Queen Elizabeth II being the first female royal to be an active member of the services.
Following his graduation from Cambridge, the King served both in the British Army and the British Navy between 1971 and 1976.
William graduated from Royal Air Force College Cranwell, and joined the RAF Search and Rescue Force before serving for two years as an air ambulance pilot.
However, George and his siblings Charlotte and Prince Louis have been experiencing a starkly different childhood compared to their father.
William and Kate have been praised for their hands-on approach to parenting, ensuring they balance their workload with spending time with all three children.
They have also been slowly easing George, Charlotte and Louis into appearing alongside the Royal Family at special events such as the Coronation, and the King’s official birthday last month.
But for the most part, the Waleses children have been able to enjoy a more private day-to-day life away from the spotlight.
In an unprecedented statement issued in 2015, the Prince and Princess of Wales insisted they wanted their children to have a “safe, happy and private childhood” without the need to keep them secluded behind palace gates.
The couple argued George and Charlotte, in a move that later extended to Louis, needed to “be free to play in public and semi-public spaces with other children without being photographed.”
Since George’s birth in 2013, the Princess of Wales has been widely in charge of taking the official portraits of family members regularly released on birthdays.
She has since delegated the task on several occasions but the royal and her husband still control the process being the publication of the snaps.
Follow our social media accounts here on facebook.com/ExpressUSNews and @expressusnews