Royal experts have slammed the timing of the release of snippets from a new biography on Meghan Markle and Prince Harry as “deplorable.”
Claims from the new book Endgame, which is scheduled to hit the shelves on November 28, began to emerge within hours of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex purportedly phoning the King to wish him a happy birthday.
The book’s author, Omid Scobie, has been repeatedly linked to Harry and Meghan in the past and was the co-author of the biography Finding Freedom, which detailed the couple’s departure from the Royal Family.
Commentator Richard Fitzwilliams however warned Scobie could see his access to the couple cut off – as he urged Meghan and Harry to reconsider their association with the author.
He said: “The timing of this is utterly deplorable. I think the Sussexes will have to think hard about whether or not Scobie is their spokesman or their friend.
For all the latest on news, politics, sports, and showbiz from the USA, go to Daily Express US
“It will be interesting to see if Harry and Meghan will still want to be associated with Scobie after this.”
Author Phil Dampier slammed the contents of the new book and suggested the new allegations are likely to put further strain on Harry’s relationship with the King and his family as a whole.
Dampier said: “We all know that Scobie is their mouthpiece and he gets his information directly or indirectly from the Sussexes, so anything which is hurtful to Charles, Camilla or William and Kate, will just make things much worse.
“Let’s put it this way – I can’t see Harry and Meghan coming over for a family Christmas.”
Speaking to the Mail Online, the royal author noted Charles has signalled on multiple occasions he has left the door open for reconciliation.
But he said the book will “set back any chance of a reconciliation” if more surprise claims emerge.
Courtiers are reportedly fuming over allegations suggesting Prince William ignored his brother’s texts in the hours leading up to the late Queen’s death last year.
Scobie claimed in the book that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex had been unaware that the Royal Family had been bracing for his grandmother’s passing.
The couple had been in the UK to attend a series of events when Buckingham Palace publicly announced doctors had become concerned about her health and had advised her to rest.
He wrote: “By the next morning, the Sussexes had no idea that Buckingham Palace was already planning for the Queen’s final hours and the first days of the monarchy’s new era — until the duke’s phone started ringing. An unknown number. He usually ignored those.”
At Meghan’s insistence, he then went to accept the call “just before it stopped” and then was told by Charles to head to Scotland to be with the Queen.
Scobie then claimed Harry tried to contact William to ask how he and Kate, the Princess of Wales planned to travel north but he was ignored and was left to plan his journey by himself.
One royal insider told The Mirror: “It appears no matter what happens behind closed doors, even in a time of such pain and grief, that where the Royal Family are concerned it will one day emerge.
“Nothing is off limits with William and Kate appearing to be this author’s number one target. It only takes a few months for the knives to come out again and the wounds to be opened up.”