Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are having a “tough” time of it over at Netflix, with the Hollywood writer’s strike halting production, a source close to the couple has claimed.
Six months after stepping down from royal duties, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle signed a multiyear deal with Netflix that would see them produce a stream of content.
The remit was broad – it would encompass a nature series, documentaries, and children’s programming – but thus far they have only released Harry & Meghan – a controversial docu-series that supposedly exposed the inner workings of the Royal Family.
It is believed a documentary on the Invictus Games is in the pipeline and that the couple also want to make their mark on the rom-com genre.
But the paucity of content has industry observers and audiences alike wondering what the lucrative deal really entails.
Hopes of new content coming down the pike have been dashed by the writer’s strike hampering Hollywood, an inside source has claimed.
A source close to Harry and Meghan has told the Telegraph that it is proving “tough” to get new projects off the ground due to the strike.
More than 11,500 members of the Writers Guild of America (WGA) are on strike, having begun industrial action on May 2.
It is seeking higher minimum pay, more writers per show, and less exclusivity on single projects, among other demands.
Last week, Sag-Aftra, the US union representing thousands of industry professionals, also officially declared a strike – and they have derailed multiple productions and industry events in recent months.
The Sussexes struck their lucrative deal with Netflix after stepping back from the Royal Family in 2020. It is unknown exactly how much the deal is worth but it could be to the tune of as much as £9.1million ($112million).
“Our lives, both independent of each other and as a couple, have allowed us to understand the power of the human spirit: of courage, resilience, and the need for connection,” the pair said in a joint statement at the time.
”Through our work with diverse communities and their environments, to shining a light on people and causes around the world, our focus will be on creating content that informs but also gives hope.”
The couple also pledged to promote diversity behind the camera as their production company gets off the ground. Meghan has said she will not return to acting.
Follow our social media accounts here on facebook.com/ExpressUSNews and @expressusnews