With the much anticipated Coronation just days away, organisers have fumed over the lack of information regarding Prince Harry’s visit, with some growing increasingly concerned that “anything could happen”. While the Duke has confirmed he will be attending, it has been reported the Palace is still in the dark about how long he plans on staying and even when he is set to arrive, with some organisers fearing the US-based royal may pull out at the last minute.
A spokesperson for the Palace confirmed his attendance after weeks of negotiations between the Sussexes and the Palace.
They said: “Buckingham Palace is pleased to confirm that The Duke of Sussex will attend the Coronation Service at Westminster Abbey.
“The Duchess of Sussex will remain in California with Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet.”
However, Coronation organisers are reportedly still seeking confirmation of “when he is coming, where he is staying, when he is going back and whether he is happy with his seating position in the Abbey”, insiders told the Mail on Sunday.
Some insiders harbour suspicions that he may cancel his appearance at the eleventh hour.
Reportedly confirming arrangements with the Duke has been like “trying to communicate with Mars”.
Sources say they have been told so little about Harry’s plans that “anything could happen”, ranging from a short appearance to a last-minute cancellation.
One source said: “He has not been responding other than in a ‘We acknowledge your email’ holding manner.
“It’s like trying to communicate with Mars – it was easier to deal with Sinn Fein.”
Last week, Michelle O’Neill, Sinn Fein’s leader in Northern Ireland and Vice President, sparked controversy by accepting an invitation to the Coronation.
This move drew attention as Lady Pamela Hicks, who was a bridesmaid to the Queen and whose father was killed by the IRA, was snubbed by not receiving an invite to the big day.
Meanwhile, Prince Harry continued his legal battle with the British press by claiming that the late Queen and Prince Charles were complicit in a phone hacking cover-up, which was allegedly agreed upon with the Sun and News of the World publisher.
The High Court judge presiding over the case, Mr Justice Fancourt, highlighted factual inconsistencies in Harry’s claims about being a victim of hacking.
The Coronation source added: “Harry seems to be adopting a High Noon approach, making everyone sweat about his movements.
“While the Royals are confident that he will show up, others involved are not quite so convinced.
“The working assumption now is that, assuming he does come, it could mean arriving as late as very early Saturday by private jet and leaving by late afternoon the same day.”
Express.co.uk has reached out to the Duke of Sussex for a comment.