A little-known loophole is stopping Prince Harry and Meghan Markle from returning to the UK and rejoining the royal fold, it has been reported.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were asked to leave Frogmore Cottage by King Charles in a tense showdown earlier this year, following a series of bombshell allegations published in the Duke’s memoir Spare.
Sources in the Sussex camp claim the eviction from Frogmore Cottage has left the Duke and Duchess of Sussex without a “protected property” in the UK. The lack of suitable security for the couple and their children, Archie and Lilibet, is stopping them from reuniting with family.
Unnamed Sussex sources told the Sunday Times that Harry and Meghan will now need a “formal invitation” from King Charles if they want to stay at a protected property in the UK.
The Times also reported that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle would love to return to the UK for Christmas with the Royal Family – but they have not been sent an invite.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s potential return to the UK has been teased after it was reported that a “phone call” between King Charles and the Duke on the monarch’s 75th birthday had gone swimmingly.
But the Daily Express revealed that no such phone call ever took place.
A well-place source told the Express that Prince Harry did not arrange a time for the call that suited King Charles’ packed schedule – including two royal visits and a private party.
“News of a phone call came as a surprise. Let’s just say that,” the source said. “There might have been a willingness there for the Sussexes to call the King on his birthday, but it certainly wasn’t communicated to the other side in a timely fashion.”
Another source went even further, claiming the King refused to pick up the phone when Harry rang.
“There was no call, every time Harry calls his father, Charles waves the phone away,” the source said. “He does not want to hear from him until he apologises.”
Sources said briefings about the phone call likely came from people close to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
Buckingham Palace initially declined to comment, but later suggested a phone call was scheduled for next week.